Creating content around trending topics has relatively low risk with potentially high rewards. While getting the hang of it may take some time, it involves minimal investment. Are you tapping the right trends to increase your traffic and build links?
As a business owner or marketing professional, you're always looking for new marketing strategies to build links and boost traffic to your website. One of the best ways to do this is by using trending topics. Trending topics are popular topics that people are talking about right now. And by creating content around these topics, you can tap into this popularity and get more eyes on your site. But how do you find trending topics? And once you've found them, how do you create content that will resonate with people? Here's a quick guide on how to use trending topics to build links and boost traffic.
Step 1: Find Trending Topics
The first step is finding trending topics that are relevant to your industry. Creating content that is bound to go viral will help you stay ahead of the trends as much as possible. That’s why you should leverage digital marketing tools to stay on top of current events, news stories, pop culture, and more. There are a few different ways to do this:
- Check Social Media: Social media is a great place to see what people are talking about right now. Simply scroll through your feed or use platforms like Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to search for popular hashtags in your industry. These are great platforms to recognise what topics are trending online.
- Use Google Trends: Google Trends is a free tool that lets you see what topics are currently trending on Google. Just enter in a few keywords related to your industry and see what comes up.
- Look at News Sites: Another great way to find trending topics is by looking at news sites. See what stories
Step 2: Create Engaging Content Around the Topic
Once you've found a trending topic that's relevant to your industry, it's time to create content around it. This could be a blog post, video, or even just a social media update. The key is to make sure that your content is high-quality and provides value to your audience. Don't just regurgitate what's already out there - add your unique spin on things. And whatever you do, don't try to force a trending topic into your content if it doesn't make sense. This will come across as inauthentic and could turn people off from your brand.
Here are some questions to ask yourself when looking for content opportunities:
- Is there a gap in what’s put being put out on the internet? Is there something missing from other brands and platforms? Can you offer a fresh take on a trending topic?
- What is my audience currently consuming? Is there a current issue that needs to be addressed? Sometimes it's easier to ask the audience what they are interested in and create content around that.
- What are your competitors putting out? Competitors covering a trending topic is a good sign that you should talk about it too. Just make sure that it is relevant to your audience and industry and that your content is authentic.
- What has worked in the past? Irrespective of what’s trending now, is there a style or format of content that has worked well in the past? Can you replicate your evergreen content with a modern twist?
- What kind of content is most linkable in your niche? This takes a bit of digging, but by searching your key terms, you should be able to find some content pieces that have performed well online. If they have a high number of quality links, see if you can separate their strategy and format.
Creating content around trending topics has relatively low risk with potentially high rewards. While getting the hang of it may take some time, it involves minimal investment. Here are some tips to create content that will attract traffic and build links.
- Choose the best format
- Target a wider audience
- Include images, videos, and infographics
- Optimise for search
- Optimise for sharing
Step 3: Promote Your Content
Once you've created your content, it's time to promote it. This is where social media comes in handy. Share your content on all of your social media channels and encourage your followers to share it as well. You can also reach out to influencers in your industry and see if they're willing to share your content with their audience. Additionally, you can use paid promotion methods like Google AdWords or Facebook Ads to get your content in front of even more people.
However, if you have minimal to no budget, you can also follow the below-listed ideas to get started–
- Convert written content into a slide video with voiceover to share on YouTube
- Put images from your article on your Instagram Story
- Address the topic through Facebook Live on your business page
- Use email outreach to attract links to your video, article, or infographic
- Circulate your content in niche-related Facebook Groups
- Contact friends and contacts in your network to share your content
- Run a campaign to your email list that includes a link to your content piece
- Run a competition or promotion with your audience for a prize in exchange for social shares
Tapping on trending topics can be a great way to go viral and build links and increase traffic on your website. Staying on top of trending topics, keeping an eye on new opportunities and crafting engaging content around the same can help you achieve your business goals without burning a hole in your pocket.
If you’re looking to tap trending topics and build better traffic and links for your business, Pulp Strategy is right here. We are a leading strategic marketing agency in India, helping brands stay ahead of the curve.